TRA Efforts in the ITU
The UAE Government gives great importance to the ICT sector and uses it to serve the community and other sectors in the country, believing in its efficiency and influence in the development of individual and society with its government and private institutions.
The UAE has officially joined the ITU in 1972 after the establishment the union and the country. Moreover, the UAE has become a member in the ITU Council for the first time in 2006 during its participation in the 2006 Plenipotentiary Conference in Antalya, Turkey. Since then, the UAE has kept its membership in the ITU Council, providing its capabilities and expertise to support the ITU’s activities, programs, and events in its three sectors: Radiocommunicaition, Standardization and Development. Additionally, the UAE actively participates in the ITU’s various international forums.
In Keeping with these plans and approaches, and as a recognition of the ITU’s objectives, and in support of its continued strong position as the lead agency in the ICT Sector, the UAE is actively involved in the activities and events of the organization as well as hosting its major events and conferences. It has also sponsored events such as the 150th anniversary of the foundation of the ITU, and the 60th anniversary of the ITU-T, and other strategic sponsorships such as the Forum of the ICT society. The UAE seeks to enhance regional and international cooperation and solidarity in ITU related activities. This has resulted awarding the UAE the WSIS Prize 2016 for Action Line 11 on regional and international cooperation, during WSIS 2016.
The UAE has been elected to the Radio Regulations Board (RRB) for the period 2015-2018. The Board consists of twelve members elected every four years at the Plenipotentiary Conference. The country has held several positions at the IUT’s conferences, meetings and work groups, and continues to hold other positions as either Chairman or Vice-Chair of several important committees.
Among the most important positions held by the UAE within the ITU:
- Membership of the ITU Council, which consists of 48 member states out of 193 members, for four consecutive terms (2006-2010), (2010-2014), (2014-2018) and (2018-2022).
- Membership of the Radio Regulations Board (RRB), which consists of 12 members on the International level. The UAE got 108 votes for the first time during the elections held in Busan, South Korea, 2014.
- Chairing and hosting of the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) 2012, in Dubai
- Chairing and hosting the World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA) 2012 in Dubai.
- Chairing and hosting the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC) 2014 in Dubai.
- Hosting the 20th Edition of the Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 (Under preparation)
- Hosting the ITU Telecom World 2012 in Dubai
- Chairing and hosting the Global Symposium for regulators 2007 in Dubai
- Chairing the World Radiocommunication Conference 2012 in Geneva
- Chairing SG20: Internet of Things for (2015-2016) and (2016-2020)
- Chairing the ITU Council Work Group responsible for the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 in 2009
- Chairing the ITU Council Work Group responsible for definitions of telecom terminology.
- Chairing the ITU Council Committee responsible for the organization of the 150th anniversary of the ITU establishment (2013-2015)
- Chairing the Arab Spectrum Group in charge of the preparation of the Radiocommunication conferences (2010-to present)
- Chairing the Arab and GCC team in charge of the preparation for the WTDC 2017
- Chairing the Arab Team in charge for the preparation for the 2014 Plenipotentiary Conference
- Chairing the Arab team in charge for the preparation for the 2010 Plenipotentiary Conference
- Vice-chairing the Arab Group in charge of the preparation for the World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA) 2016
- Vice-chairing the radicommunication special committee on regulatory/Procedural matters
- Vice-chairing the Study Group 4 of the ITU-R on satellite Services
- Vice-Chairing the Study Group 7 of the ITU-R on Science Services
- Vice-Chairing the Study Group 3 of the ITU-R on Radiowave propagation
- Vice-Chairing the Study Group 6 of the ITU-R on Broadcasting Service
- Vice-Chairing the Study Group 1 of the ITU-D
- Vice-Chairman of the Telecommunication Development Advisory Group
- Rapporteur of a chapter of the CPM Report (2007-2012) and (2012-2015)
- Chairing the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) 2018 in Geneva
- Chairing the Arab team in charge for the preparation for the 2018 Plenipotentiary Conference
- Vice-Chairing the Study Group 2 of the ITU-D
The UAE has submitted several working papers in various work groups and study groups within the three ITU sectors. These papers are agreed upon by all stakeholders, national and international partners, as the TDRA is keen to achieve the common objectives as well as consensus of visions during the meetings and international conferences.
In continuation of these efforts, and based on the UAE vision 2021 and its efforts to enhance the leading position of the country in international forums, the UAE has submitted its membership nomination for the ITU Council for the next term and has been successfully re-elected during the last Plenipotentiary Conference from 29 October – 16 November 2018 which was held in Dubai, UAE. The UAE is committed to enhance its contribution in the work, objectives and aspirations of the ITU for the coming term, and looking forward to work with all the ITU members to achieve sustainable development goals, common objectives and accomplishments