About TDRA | Vision, Mission & Values
The Telecommunications and Digital Government Regulatory Authority (TDRA) of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was established according to the UAE Federal Law by Decree No. 3 of 2003 – Telecom Law, on regulating the telecommunications sector in the UAE. Since its establishment, the TDRA has exceeded expectations by achieving its projected goals in record time.
The role of TDRA focuses on two fields: regulating the telecommunications sector, and enabling government entities in the field of smart transformation.
Regulating the telecommunications sector in the UAE.
This vital role is derived from the UAE Telecommunication law and its Executive Regulation. The objectives of the TDRA in this context include: ensuring adequate provision of telecommunications services throughout the UAE; developing services in terms of quality and variety; ensuring quality of services by adherence to terms of licenses by licensees; encouraging ICT services in the UAE; promoting and enhancing the ICT sector within the UAE through training and development and the establishment of training institutions related to the sector; resolving disputes between the licensed operators; establishing and implementing a regulatory and policy framework; promoting new technologies; developing the country´s human capital; encouraging research and development to ensure that the UAE has a leading regional position the ICT sector.
Enabling government entities in the field of smart transformation
Law No. 3 of 2011 referred the task of the federal e-government to the TDRA. In May 2013, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, UAE Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai launched the mGovernment Initiative. The Supreme Committee was formed later, and it referred the implementation of the initiative to the TRA, funded by the ICT Fund.
Since then, the TRA's enabling role has been enhanced as it became responsible for the overall digital infrastructure in the country. This was embodied through the Federal Electronic Network (FedNet) and its connection with local networks in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. This role is also demonstrated in other projects such as managing the official portal of the UAE government, the establishment and development of the Government Service Bus (GSB), the Smart Pass, the monitoring and measurement of the mGovernment enablers and others.
The TDRA was entrusted with several responsibilities related to ICT Sector within the UAE and abroad. The TDRA is responsible for representing the country in many international forums, as it was elected to the ITU Council of the United Nations for the years 2006-2010, as well as being a member of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authorities of the Arab Network (AREGNET), a member of the Arab Spectrum Management Group, and the GCC Technical Committee. Among the objectives that the TDRA seeks to achieve when implementing its competencies according to the provisions of the law is to achieve the following:
- Ensure the provision of telecommunications services throughout the country to meet the needs of those who wish to make use of such services
- Develop the level of service provided by the telecommunications sector in order to achieve the interests of subscribers
- Ensure that licensees adhere to quality standards of performance and to the terms and conditions stipulated in the licenses granted to them
- Encourage, promote, and develop the ICT industry in the country
- Develop and modernize the telecommunications system in the country through training, enabling and establishing related educational institutions, and obtaining the latest ICT devices, equipment, and facilities
- Develop and ensure the implementation of the mGovernment initiatives’ programs, and enhancing the use of ICT in government entities.
- Develop related policies and standards, and follow-up on government entities commitment to these standards
- Prepare an attractive electronic governmental environment in the country
- Formulate and implement a national mGovernment plan
- Achieve the objectives of the mGovernment Services Index, one of the national agenda indicators emanating from the UAE Vision 2021
- Assist government entities to develop their smart transformation programs
- Enhance e-presence of the government in the UAE through the official portals
- Promote e-participation in coordination with relevant government entities
Mission & Vision
The UAE is a global leading country in ICT
We strive to be a leading organization in the ICT sector in United Arab Emirates, committed to maintaining positive competition to protect the interests of the subscribers, and promoting electronic transformation of the federal agencies and their services, by relying on national competencies to apply the best international standards and practices in supervision of the sector´s and to encourage innovation and investment.
- Pioneering:We nurture innovation and creativity, assume leadership and effectively influence the support and development of the Sector
- Customer happiness :We strive to improve our customers happiness through our commitment to the continuous improvement and development of the quality of our services
- Empowerment:We endeavor to empower our employees in decision-making and participation in achieving our goals within inspiring work environment
- Collaboration:Collaborating & Working constructively with the concerned people to develop and implement work mechanisms (internally and externally).
- Commitment:We are committed towards our responsibilities to the State in providing the best technology for the Sector
- Sustainability: We endeavor to have a positive influence on all the stakeholders by maintaining a sustainable business model
- Develop a fair regulatory environment for the ICT sector in the UAE, to enhance competitiveness and effective sustainability.
- Develop the quality of provided ICT services in the UAE, to ensure keeping pace with technological development in the ICT sector.
- Leadership in smart technological infrastructure in the UAE.
- Enhance the smart lifestyle in the UAE
- Ensure the provision of all administrative services in accordance with the standards of quality, efficiency and transparency
- Establish a culture of innovation in the institutional work environment.
Sustainability as a work culture
Sustainability at TDRA is a Part of our culture at work, as we restlessly work on creating such a positive impact on our community by providing sustainable work environment provoking innovation and creativity within TDRA Departments, and launching many Corporate Social Responsibility related campaigns.
Check TDRA sustainability efforts here
To view stainability Report 2019 - Arabic, click here